[PLUG-TALK] Russell Hobbs power cord repair

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Tue Oct 27 20:37:40 UTC 2009

On Tue, Oct 27, 2009 at 11:42:13AM -0700, Tony Rick wrote:

> I'm looking for suggestions for other possible sources for these
> parts,  or any other suggestions about this repair.  Yes, I can order
> a replacement cord from the US distributor in CT, for $20 + shipping,
> which I may end up doing anyway, but I'd like to give this a shot
> first.

One possibility is Conrey Electric in southeast.  They have lots
of electric repair parts, thought they specialize in motor repair
parts for buildings.

Another possibility is to guess suitable search words for Google
Images.  That is how I found brushes to repair a treadmill motor.
I ended up ordering the parts from a washing machine repair shop
in the U.K.  More than you want to spend.

It looks like you are well on the way to substituting a different
kind of appliance end connector set, and that may be easiest.  I
don't know how big a space you have to work with, but you might
also look for marine or aviation supply stores with significant
electrical parts sections.  You might not save any money, but if
you use a standard minature connection you will end up with
something far more robust and replacable.

Which will help your son when he tries to repair the inherited
family kettle 40 years from now.  Be sure to document the repair
somewhere that Google cache and archive.org can find it, so he can.