[PLUG-TALK] Porn on the Net...

Russell Johnson russj at dimstar.net
Tue Oct 27 22:46:47 UTC 2009

On Oct 27, 2009, at 3:02 PM, Michael Robinson wrote:

> I never said that alcohol is a problem for everyone.  Porn is
> different.
> Porn is immoral from every angle.

In your opinion. Opinions vary.

> "Free" porn should be outlawed, period.

In your opinion. Fortunately, we have laws that say otherwise.

Maybe free, open source software is bad for society and should be
outlawed. Maybe it's immoral.

>  It is illegal to prostitute oneself on Burnside,

The last time I checked, prostituting oneself was not free. One pays
for the act.

> it shouldn't be legal to prostitute oneself on cyber Burnside.

Opinions vary here too. I believe a well regulated system can work.

> As far as the denial you are expressing about choice, I feel sorry for
> you.  An alcoholic doesn't have a choice about abusing alcohol.

Yes they do. Don't open the can. If they choose to open the can, how
can you say they didn't make that choice.

Oh, this is the part where you claim it's from a higher source.

>  A pot
> head doesn't have a choice about smoking marijuana.  A true pedophile
> doesn't have a choice about sexually abusing children.

Again, yes they do. If you, Michael Robinson, choose to open the beer,
light a joint, or eat a steak, you have made that choice.

>  The best course
> of action with the alcoholic, the pot head, and the pedophile is to
> keep
> them away from that which they are prone to abuse.

But it's wrong to punish all of society to protect those few that have
an issue.

The problem we have at this point, is that we have gotten so far away
from personal responsibility. We are all responsible for the actions
that we make. If you absolve an alcoholic of his responsibilities to
not drink, do you also absolve a mass murderer of his murders?

Yes, an alcoholic has a compulsion to drink, but that compulsion does
not force the person to open the can. They may give in to the urge,
but they made the choice to give in.

> You are taking the delusional misguided position that porn is good for
> someone.  Anyone who views porn for any reason at all has a problem.

Thank you for diagnosing me. You believe in god. I don't. Keep your
religious, self righteous, delusional laws off me. If you don't like
porn, don't look. If you don't like pot, don't smoke. If you don't
like beer, don't drink. Those are your choices. Leave me mine.

> Viewing porn creates an audience for it which increases the likelihood
> that there will be more porn produced.

Let me re-write that...

Using a cell phone creates an audience for it which increases the
likelihood that there will be more cell phones produced.

Replace cell phone with anything you like.

Russell Johnson
russj at dimstar.net

"When you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice."
"No changes are permanent, but change is."