[PLUG-TALK] Religion is not bad...

Michael Robinson plug_1 at robinson-west.com
Fri Oct 30 00:06:36 UTC 2009

> > On Thu, 2009-10-29 at 15:11 -0700, Pete Lancashire wrote:
> >> Just finished a Sci-Fi paperback The Emancipator Book 1 by Ray Aldridge
> >> the part that fits this little discourse is how a 'galactic' empire kept
> >> and breed slave on many planets.
> >>
> >> It fit my view and experience of organized western religion to the tee.
> >>
> >> Basically they would show up cloaked, and become the 'gods' to these
> >> primitive to say earth equivalent of the medieval time. Once they became
> >> the omnipotent god(s) they would eliminate anyone who started to
> >> question anything.
> >>
> >> It fits this discussion to the tee !
> >>
> >> Well worth the 99cents and the time on MAX ...
> >>
> >> -pete
> > Sounds like Babylon 5 to me.  No it doesn't fit this discussion at all.
> > Religion is not something that some cloaked figures came up with and
> > dropped on people unless you want to talk about mythology which is a
> > totally different beast.

Honestly Pete, what evidence do you have that there is A a breeding
program going on let alone B hooded figures running it?  No, this
piece of fiction has nothing to do with organized western religion.
Anti clericalism is an ugly thing and it should not come into this
conversation.  Next thing you'll say is that the Pope came from
another planet.  Do you honestly think that Germany is another planet?
Come on Pete.  Am I supposed to be the hooded figure Pete?  How am I
supposed to eliminate people?  I would think that God would frown on
me if I started doing that.