[PLUG-TALK] Religion is not bad...

Michael Robinson plug_1 at robinson-west.com
Fri Oct 30 03:39:09 UTC 2009

On Thu, 2009-10-29 at 18:01 -0700, Russell Senior wrote:

> >>      Men are incapable of loving each other without God's help.
>
> wes>    *sigh* ... this is a perfect example of why no one takes you
> wes> or other religulous zealots seriously. I think this is the single
> wes> most personally offensive comment I've seen from you and others
> wes> like you.  I *DO* love my fellow man and woman and I *DO NOT*
> wes> need god's help with that.
>
> I recently attended a funeral service for contemporary of mine who was
> my "best friend" with off-and-on from grade school through
> post-college.  He had died of a sudden heart attack.
>
> He married a religious woman, but remained a rational non-religious
> person.  At the funeral, and I don't know if this was just to comfort
> the widow, it was claimed that he found Jesus in the last year or two.
> The religious people at the service kept saying how kind, warm, and
> considerate he was, and I kept thinking, "yeah I recognize that
> person, and he was that way *BEFORE* he found Jesus."
>
> God-worship is both an unnecessary and insufficient condition for
> Goodness, and to me, Goodness is the thing of value.  God-worship is
> too often an unuseful distraction.

Russell, you can't prove that God didn't make your friend the person he
is before he "found Jesus."  Another point I should make is that I'm not
that kind of Christian.  God deserves worship for creating Man with both
a natural and supernatural nature.  God is everyone's Father and he
deserves our attention and consideration.  Atheism is a cancer that I
pray will be cured some day soon.