[PLUG-TALK] Religion is not bad...

Russell Johnson russj at dimstar.net
Fri Oct 30 14:59:20 UTC 2009

On Oct 30, 2009, at 1:53 AM, Michael Robinson wrote:

> On Thu, 2009-10-29 at 21:58 -0700, Russell Johnson wrote:
>> On Oct 29, 2009, at 8:39 PM, Michael Robinson wrote:
>>
>>> Russell, you can't prove that God didn't make your friend the person
>>> he
>>> is before he "found Jesus."
>>
>> The reverse is also true. You can't prove that God did make your
>> friend the person he is before he "found Jesus."
>
> Wrong.  You can rule out a person coming to a belief in God from
> a non divine influence.  If the only influences on a person's
> religious faith are the crappy theories of atheists, it is doubtful
> and at best highly unlikely that they will come to believe in God.
> It is common sense that you don't go to God unless He makes Himself
> known to you.

It's not the belief in god that is in question here.

It's the goodness of the person. As I understand it, the claim is that
a person can not be good without god.

>>> God deserves worship for creating Man with both
>>> a natural and supernatural nature.  God is everyone's Father and he
>>> deserves our attention and consideration.
>> This pre-supposes the existence of god. This is faith, and that's
>> what
>> I have an issue with. Believing in something without any concrete,
>> reproducible evidence.
>
> Ahem, there is plenty of concrete evidence to point to that supports
> belief in God.  There is the existence of the Vatican which has been
> the center of the Catholic church for centuries.  Believing that men
> can produce a single faith and keep it together for centuries if it
> is based on a false god is ridiculous.

Let's look at this for a moment. The catholic church is what, 2000
years old? It's the one true god, don't have false gods before him,
etc...

Yet there are religions that are much older that Catholicism, that
don't believe in the same god, yet they have been around longer and
have a much larger following...

Which religion has the false god, and how are all these religions
'keeping it together' for so long?

russj