[PLUG-TALK] Religion is not bad...

Michael Robinson plug_1 at robinson-west.com
Fri Oct 30 19:59:17 UTC 2009

On Fri, 2009-10-30 at 11:56 -0700, Aaron wrote:
> Michael,
>
> Please pray for me. Actually if you could sit and pray for me for the
> rest of your life I'd really appreciate it.  I'd much rather you sit
> around praying for us atheists than doing something actually
> productive and meaningful with your life.
>
> Oh, question. So if praying to god can convert someone from atheist to
> christian doesn't that contradict that god gives us free will to
> believe or not?  If enough people pray for me to convert and god
> says.."okay the quota has been met I'll convert them", isn't that god
> not giving me free will?
>
> Also nothing spiritual you say has happened hasn't.  I do not believe
> in paranormal activity. If it can't be explained through facts and
> science it didn't happen.  Period.  Just saying something happened or
> blindly believing something happened because "you are told it is so"
> is silly.  Just because someone says it's so doesn't make it so.
>
> Also it's simply fact that the church has lied many times in the
> past--even the Bible is a mess when it comes to facts.
>
> http://www.skepticsannotatedbible.com/
>
> for example, is a great site with tons of information.

In the illumination of conscience at the end of time, God will make
himself known to everyone and will judge everyone shortly after that.

As far as praying being against free will, why should God give Man
free will and then not attempt at all to influence where Man will
go with it?  God will not live in a soul that is dead.  He can,
but the person who hates Him would make Him very uncomfortable.
God's human creation in His own image is good, but clearly a portion
of that creation will not stay good.  What kind of God who loves Man
and knows what Man should do and where Man should be would do
absolutely nothing to influence Man?  God is very active in people's
lives.  Atheism is a way to test God's patience that only a fool
pursues.  Atheism is a cancer that must be cured.  Being cured of
atheism before God forcibly wipes it out will give you a better
chance of going to heaven.

Why don't you go to catholic dot com and study what people have to
say there?  There are a lot of protestants and probably some atheists
on the site.  Who knows, you might find something.