[PLUG-TALK] Religion is not bad...

wes plug at the-wes.com
Fri Oct 30 20:27:37 UTC 2009

On Fri, Oct 30, 2009 at 9:46 AM, Michael Robinson
<plug_1 at robinson-west.com>wrote:

> If you won't accept proper scholarship as an argument for how to
> interpret the bible, you cannot recognize what the Catholic church
> or anyone else for that matter teaches about it.

If you won't accept proper scholarship as an argument for how to understand
atheism, you cannot recognize the benefits of rejecting faith.

Claiming the
> church teached that evolution is sacrilege but not giving any
> specifics of that is NOT evidence.

I have provided exactly the same amount of evidence you have. If it's good
enough for you, why should it not be good enough for me?

At most the church has said
> that evolution is just a theory and in all honesty it is just a
> theory.  It looks true today, but that may not be the case in 20
> or 100 years.

Fair enough.

There are no religions older than Christianity based on a false god
> that have outlived it.

So, Christianity is somehow the measuring stick by which all other religions
are rated? Anything that came after hasn't been around long enough to prove
that you're wrong, and anything that came before didn't last long enough to
prove you're wrong?

Judaism and Christianity are cousins.

The fact that they are similar makes them cousins? The "fact" that they are
cousins gives Christianity validity?

Greek
> mythology is dead, nobody practices a religion based on it.

So too shall Judaism and Christianity pass into mythology.

You
> claim otherwise, but again you have provided 0 evidence.

Again we have provided exactly as much evidence as you.

Saying people like me need to be fought or we will take over government
> and institute state religion is laughable.

No, it's no laughing matter at all.

This is just discriminatory
> on your part.

I suppose you could say that, in as far as every choice we make is a
discrimination.

I believe I said a long time ago that faith is a gift,
> not something that can be taught or enforced.

You did say that. But you also said that our laws should be based on the
same beliefs that you hold faith in. This constitutes theocratic legislation
in my observation.

If I'm from a body that
> indoctrinates people all the time, why haven't I indoctrinated you?

You didn't catch me young enough.

Religion deserves tolerance from all Americans and that includes you
> because it is protected by freedom of religion right alongside the
> freedom of speech that everyone on here worships.

Absolutely true. So too does non-religion deserve tolerance from religious
types.

Most people in the world practice one of the three major religions.
> These are Christianity, Islam, and Judaism.

This is false. Most people in the world do practice some type of spiritual
enrichment, but those 3 combined form far less than 50% of the world's
population's religion. Buddhism and Hinduism are just as big. There are more
Hindus in the world than Christians, for example.

There are other faiths,
> but they tend to be minor.

Minor in number? I don't think so. Minor in relevance to you because you
believe you are the only one that is right? That much is likely.

No major religion is older than
> Christianity except for Judaism which is Christianity's cousin.

A repeated incorrectness.

People like Wes with closed minds that will not recognize the things
> going on around them are annoying.

True, I fail to recognize your baseless statements, deliberate
misinterpretations, and outright lies as "facts."

People who won't accept that there
> are human limitations that can't be surpassed without faith are
> annoying.

There is no limitation which faith allows a person to surpass that could not
also be surpassed without faith. It can make some things easier (recovering
addicts for example) but again, it's just a crutch that not everyone needs.

A man who is "okay" with his limitations and allows them
> to limit his vision is not much of a man at all.

No ones vision is truly expanded by faith. Some people think it is, but they
are wrong.

He will miss a
> great deal as the world passes him by.

Ignorance is bliss. :)