[PLUG-TALK] Power Strip Switches

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Sat Oct 31 06:29:57 UTC 2009

On Fri, Oct 30, 2009 at 07:46:27PM -0700, Richard C. Steffens wrote:
> I thought of that, and I could do it, but the space is open to the
> public and for liability reasons I need to use a UL rated power strip,
> or hire an electrician. For this task, the electrician route is too
> expensive.

They make "switch extension cords" with a plug and socket at one end
and a switch at the other.  I use some two prong ones, UL approved,
I think I got them at Ace hardware.   Perhaps they make 3 prong ones.

Or, you can think outside the box, and control the benches with
X10 controllers.  Or run all the bench cords to a heavy duty power
strip and a single breaker box (which would need an electrician,
but might be cheaper than you think).   That allows one person
to make sure all the benches are off.

I have the Tektronix style benches with the switch in front that
Pete talked about.  The switch is in a standard electrical box
with a heavy duty cord to it.  The switch can be moved to a
different place, accessable but not publically accessable,
without disturbing the wiring.  That would be ideal for you.

I got my benches years ago from the Tektronix company surplus store.
They are nice units, and sturdy (and heavy) enough that you could
probably fix a car engine on one.  That is about what a pile of
tube-era test equipment weighed, which is why they were sturdy.

The benches are probably all long gone from the company and will
never appear at the surplus store again.  On the other hand, some
of the white haired old farts (like me) that bought them decades
ago may be willing to part with them (or their widows or children).
There must be thousands of these benches around the Portland area.

How to find the old farts?  Some of them (and their friends) show
up at the Tek surplus store, which is still operating.  It is open
to the public first and third Thursdays at 2pm.  Do a web search
for Tektronix RAMS Store.  The local ham groups might know of
something, look for Marconi's Cronies.  Perhaps you could advertise
in the Tek Retirees newsletter, which comes out every 3 months or
so (with about 80 obits in each one).  A lot of spin-off startups
bought them.  Use your imagination - the benches are out there.