[PLUG-TALK] Religion is not bad...

Michael Robinson plug_1 at robinson-west.com
Sat Oct 31 09:09:19 UTC 2009

The following demands a response and a link.
The short of it is that Catholicism and Judaism are and always have been
monotheistic.

>         > Don't think you can claim that Catholicism is
>         > polytheistic though and get away with it without hearing a
>         strong
>         > protest from those who know the truth.
>

>         Let me know when they stop worshiping saints, Mary, Jesus,
>         etc.
>
>         It's intellectually dishonest to worship a bunch of different
>         entities
>         as "god" and claim that they are different, but the same.

It is offensive to Mary and to God to worship Mary.  Jesus, the Father,
and the Holy Spirit are THE SAME PERSON.  Official Catholic teaching
has NEVER said that there is more than one God.  Judaism has 0
polytheistic roots.  The Jews in ancient times got mixed up with
worshipers of Baal among other things, but Judaism itself is not
polytheistic.

The saints are not worshiped, but people try to model after them
and for good reason.  Every single saint in the church followed
the model for humanity that Christ laid out in his public
ministry.

Look at the Apostle's creed:

>I believe in God the Father almighty,
>creator of heaven and earth.

>I believe in Jesus Christ, his only Son, our Lord.
>He was conceived by the power of the Holy Spirit
>and born of the virgin Mary.

>He suffered under Pontius Pilate, was crucified, died, and
>was buried.

>He descended to the dead.
>On the third day he rose again.
>He ascended into heaven,
>and is seated at the right hand of the Father.

>He will come again to judge the living and the dead.

>I believe in the Holy Spirit, the holy Catholic Church,
>the communion of saints, the forgiveness of sins,
>the resurrection of the body, and the life everlasting.

>Amen.

The Nicene creed is longer and starts with We, so it is meant
for larger gatherings.  The Nicene creed addresses heresies
that arose by adding language specifically to fight them.
"creator of heaven and earth," was expanded to, "maker of heaven
and earth, of all that is seen and unseen."  The long version
conveys the same thing stronger.

In the Nicene creed, the second stanza is much longer than in
the Apostles creed.  "...the only Son of God, eternally begotten from
the Father, God from God, Light from Light, true God from true God,
begotten, not made, one in being with the Father.  Through
him all things were made.  For us men and for our salvation
he came down from heaven:..."  This longer version is intended
to protect the doctrine of the most Holy Trinity.  This was not
a new teaching when the Council of Nicea developed the Nicene
Creed.

Go to this site and read if you want to know about the
council of Nicea that took place in 325 AD:
http://www.papalencyclicals.net/Councils/ecum01.htm

Arius had to be stopped because his heresies suggested that
Jesus could do evil things that He didn't do.  Arius rejected
the eternal existence of Jesus, the Father, and the Holy
Spirit.  The Father is cosubstantial with the Son and
cosubstantial with the Holy Spirit.  This is not a new teaching
in 325 AD.  "Nobody knows the father except through me"(Jesus).
If the Father and Jesus are different people as we understand
that concept, Jesus should not have said this (probably in
Aramaic mind you).

I AM THE AUTHORITY ON WHAT CATHOLICS WORSHIP AND THEY ARE NOT
POLYTHEISTIC.  Also, telling me I've used a bad translation
and trying to twist it just enough to make it say something
else is extremely rude.  Read Christian Monotheism at the
following web site:

http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/10499a.htm

No matter how loud someone yells that Catholics worship more than
one God, that won't make it true.