[PLUG-TALK] Religion is not bad...

Michael Robinson plug_1 at robinson-west.com
Sat Oct 31 09:29:52 UTC 2009

> On Fri, Oct 30, 2009 at 14:37, Aaron <ke7ezt at gmail.com> wrote:
>         Michael,
>
>         Question..if god has been around how come the world has never
>         known peace? and how come all the time there are major
>         conflicts over religion? Do you think that it would be better
>         for christians to try and take over and convert everyone that
>         is not christian, or do you think it would be better to accept
>         that others have a different view and let everyone believe
>         what they wish (as long as they aren't hurting someone else)?
>         Isn't the choice of believing in god (or which god) or not
>         between the person and god?

Fine, let's look at this.  The world has known peace at times.  World
War II was not a war between people of different religions but instead
an attempt by Hitler to eradicate religion and get revenge for the way
Germany had been treated after World War I.  Faschism was the problem
in World War II where atheistic communism in Russia revealed itself
towards the end of the war.  The Iraq War is not about religious
differences, it's about trying to bring peace to a country in the
arab world in the hope that there will be a domino effect.  The war
in Afghanistan is not about religion.  Don't kid yourself, the Taliban
and Al-Queada want to kill Americans regardless of the faith.  Main
line religions do not advocate ethnic cleansing, endless Jihad,
etcetera.  If one wants to discuss the big five: Catholicism,
Judaism, Islam, Buddhism, and Hinduism it can be pointed out that
none of the big 5 religions advocate violence against civilians.
It is radical splinter groups that claim to be connected to the
big five that are a problem.

I personally think Obama should pull out of Afghanistan if he doesn't
have the guts to put 40k+ troops in.  I don't think we can keep the
peace in Afghanistan without those troops.  It is not morally right
to send too few troops and poorly equip them.

Faith is not a decision.  You do not decide to believe something and
then suddenly you actually believe it.  It doesn't work that way.
Faith is a gift from God.  So no, I don't think the world should
have atheists and no I do not think that ordinary people without
God's help can convert everyone who is not Christian to Christianity.
Man needs God's peace to be at peace with his fellow Man, especially
his enemies.  If the lion is going to lie down with the lamb, God is
going to be the one who makes that happen.