[PLUG-TALK] Power Strip Switches

Denis Heidtmann denis.heidtmann at gmail.com
Sat Oct 31 16:07:11 UTC 2009

On Fri, Oct 30, 2009 at 7:46 PM, Richard C. Steffens <rsteff at comcast.net> wrote:
> Pete Lancashire wrote:
>> one idea but requires assembly
>>
>> mount a power switch on the front edge of the desk/bench. The two
>> cords can be made from a short extension cord.
>>
>> idea partially stolen from how Tek wired their in house built
>> engineering benches. They also used a nice neon lit push button
>> vs a toggle.
>>

> I thought of that, and I could do it, but the space is open to the
> public and for liability reasons I need to use a UL rated power strip,
> or hire an electrician. For this task, the electrician route is too
> expensive.
>
> Thanks for the idea, though.
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Dick Steffens

I have seen a switch mounted on a cube with a plug and socket.  This
together with an extension cord and a plugstrip should create what you
want.

Can you mount the plugstrip parallel to the front of the desk?

Can you fashion a mechanical linkage to the switch on the plugstrip,
so that it can be operated from a convenient place?  UL cannot object
to that.

-Denis