[PLUG-TALK] Religion is not bad...

David Mandel dmandel at davidmandel.com
Sat Oct 31 19:46:08 UTC 2009

On Sat, Oct 31, 2009 at 2:29 AM, Michael Robinson
<plug_1 at robinson-west.com> wrote:

> Faith is not a decision.  You do not decide to believe something ....

I'm not so sure about this.

Faith as belief is a gift from God.
Some people have it and some people don't and certainly God can not
condemn an unfaithful person simply for not receiving the gift.

But faith may also be understood as a commitment - simply the decision
to believe.
After all, does it really make any difference in the way we should
live our lives whether God
exists or not?  If there is a God, God clearly does not want us to
know he exists.
And if there isn't a God, the world is still better off because of the
religions he
gave us (or man invented); so we should practice whatever religion he gave us
and respect those who were given a different religion.

David Mandel