[PLUG-TALK] NiCad questions

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Mon Sep 14 23:29:52 PDT 2009

On Mon, 14 Sep 2009 23:04:16 -0700
wes <plug at the-wes.com> dijo:

> On Mon, Sep 14, 2009 at 10:16 PM, Larry Brigman <larry.brigman at gmail.com>wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Sep 14, 2009 at 9:47 PM, John Jason Jordan <johnxj at comcast.net>
> > wrote:
> > > The tools remained vrtually unused over the winter, but now I am using
> > > them again. I am lucky to get half an hour out of a battery before it
> > > needs to be recharged. Sometimes a battery pack acts dead even though
> > > it has been in the charger for over an hour and the charger says it is
> > > fully charged.

> > NiCad batteries can get a memory of the capacity that is being used and
> > only
> > charge/maintain at that level.  Also, temperature effects all
> > batteries.  If the batteries
> > got to freezing temps then I would not expect them to do well until
> > they were re-conditioned.
> >
> > Re-conditioning NiCad's requires a full drain and then a full
> > re-charge (multiple times).
> >
> > Try a total drain on one of the batteries and then do a full
> > re-charge.  After the re-charge
> > determine if the normal usage life of the battery is longer or not.
> > It might only be
> > 10-15 minutes more.  If it is more, then repeat until it is back to
> > close to normal.
> >
> > Lithium Ion batteries don't have the memory effect but require the charger
> > to be
> > accurate and monitor pack charge rate vs temperature.

> When I recondition batteries, I "seem" to get better results by draining the
> batteries very slowly. I use a small light bulb to drain them until I can't
> see any light coming out in a dark room. I usually do about 5 cycles of
> this. If it's still not doing anything for me after that, I toss it.

Thanks for the suggestions.

I have a flashlight and a fan that use these battery packs. I'll leave
each running overnight so the batteries will be dead in the morning.
Then I'll recharge and see how they work. I can do this over and over.
Hopefully I'll be able to restore the four NiCad battery packs and
won't have to buy the li-ion battery packs.