[PLUG-TALK] Portland Source for 70 volt speakers?

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Thu Sep 17 12:58:35 PDT 2009

On Thu, Sep 17, 2009 at 10:01:19AM -0700, Richard C. Steffens wrote:
> Does anyone know of a Portland area source for 70 volt speakers?

Not sure, but call Portland Radio and Norvac, or find out where
building sound system subcontractors buy theirs.  These are,
IIRC, regular speakers with impedance-changing audio transformers
attached, allowing lower current and higher voltage distribution
of audio signals for PA systems in buildings.

You be able to pull the audio transformer off a broken 70V speaker
and add it to an 8 ohm speaker from a stereo store.  Or get one
from a building being dismantled.  I bet the transformers survive
fires better than the speakers do, but don't you go getting any ideas ...

Me, I would just hook a whole bunch of 8 ohm speakers in series.
But then, I have lousy hearing anyway, and couldn't tell that such
an array is lousy for omnidirectionality.


Keith Lofstrom          keithl at keithl.com         Voice (503)-520-1993
KLIC --- Keith Lofstrom Integrated Circuits --- "Your Ideas in Silicon"
Design Contracting in Bipolar and CMOS - Analog, Digital, and Scan ICs

More information about the PLUG-talk mailing list