[PLUG-TALK] friendly IP provider

Aaron Burt aaron at bavariati.org
Wed Apr 21 16:37:26 UTC 2010

On Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 07:16:40PM -0700, Pete Lancashire wrote:
> I've had it with the IP side of Qwest. I have no choice with the DSL side.
>
> I was downloading a large geophysical data file and Qwest sent me
> indirectly a message by trapping my port 80. Basically telling me
> to stop hogging there fragile system and that I may bring the
> whole service down if I don't stop.

Really?  Can you elaborate on that?  That seems more than a bit unusual,
and it would be worth knowing about.  Were you able to resume the DL?

Mind, it's usually a good idea to switch away from QWorst anyway.

> I may want more then on IP although I'm also looking at moving what
> remains of my hosting from my basement to a hosting service.

DreamHost used to be kinda lame, but have improved greatly.  They have a
VPS service that might be nice, if you're running dedicated servers.