[PLUG-TALK] friendly IP provider

Russell Senior russell at personaltelco.net
Wed Apr 21 18:08:39 UTC 2010

>>>>> "Pete" == Pete Lancashire <pete at petelancashire.com> writes:

Pete> I was downloading approx 22 GB of geo & atmospheric data.  When
Pete> I got home the download had been broken. When I pulled up my
Pete> browser my port 80's were redicted to Qwest.net. THE ONLY thing
Pete> I use qwest.net for is to get me an IP address and a
Pete> 'pipe'. Nothing else. I for now do my own DNS, etc, etc.  I'm
Pete> moving to a hosting site soon, but that's another story.

Pete> All http was redirected to

Pete> http://excessive.use.qwest.net/

We have had similar disruptions at some of our nodes on qwest.net
service, although in our case it had to do with virus detection.  They
failed to actually identify what they were seeing, which made it
more challenging for us to mitigate the problem.

I'll just whisper "open-access fiber" here.  Hong Kong just dropped
their rates for 1Gbps to $26/month.  100Mbps is $13/month.

--
Russell Senior, President
russell at personaltelco.net