[PLUG-TALK] Increased System Probes/Cracking Attempts

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Wed Apr 28 16:31:19 UTC 2010

On Wed, 28 Apr 2010, drew wymore wrote:

> I haven't noticed anything on my residential account Rich but I see failed
> sshd attempts _all the time_ on my colo box. At one point in time I
> grabbed a list of all APAC networks and just added them in bulk to my
> firewall config and it dropped the attempts quite a bit.

Drew,

   Failed sshd attempts occur almost every day, but not from as many sources
and attempts from each one.

   I'll need to look at the Netgear firewall appliance and see if I can add
IP address blocks to automatically be rejected. However, since the appliance
is dropping all these UDP packets anyway, the only indication I have of the
increased port scan attempts is the stream of notification messages.

Thanks,