[PLUG-TALK] Frontier and Java

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Sun Aug 15 05:40:47 UTC 2010

On Sat, Aug 14, 2010 at 09:41:30AM -0700, John Jason Jordan wrote:
> People tend to get paid what their work is worth to others. So capable
> programmers are more expensive, or so management believes.

Well, it may be like the Steve Jobs saying:  "A players hire A
players, B players hire C players".  Some B managers are afraid
of hiring the people that will outshine and replace them.  Many
A players have better options than working for B managers.  A
downward spiral ensues.

Nothing is more expensive than an employee who can't get the
job done.  The dollars per delivered solution is infinite.

It is too bad that the west coast PUCs have made POTS/FIOS
too unprofitable for the A players.  While there were things
about Verizon I did not like, they were miles ahead of Comcast,
the other high bandwidth option.

Ah well.  In a decade, I hope to be providing cheap high bandwidth
from orbit.  If the terrestrial competition is monopolistic and
incompetent, they will be easier to crush.  If space bandwidth is
open and competitive, then my company won't turn into Frontier.