[PLUG-TALK] Rebuilding Teletype

Pete Lancashire pete at petelancashire.com
Wed Jul 28 18:34:43 UTC 2010

A teletype uses a constant current interface. modern ones when the circuit is
closed is 20mA older ones 60mA. Open circuit voltage in not too critical but
a reasonable value is 24 to 110 Volts. It can be lower but has issues.

Going from a 20 mA current to say a RS-233 value is pretty easy to translate
zero current <-> -12 Volts (well 5 nowdays but not really RS-232) and 20 mA
<-> +12 Volts.

Once you have the RS-232 for a PC you use a Serial Port, or I guess now days
a USB<->Serial chip :-)

Tell the serial port driver 110 Baud for a Model 35 and your making noise.

For me, I think a HP-211x minicomputer running timeshare Basic so I can
dig out my Star-Trek tape from 1972 or so load and and run it ...

-pete

PS http://www.dunnington.u-net.com/public/startrek/STTR1