[PLUG-TALK] Extraneous 'X' after period in email responses

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Fri Jun 4 14:08:42 UTC 2010

   This is something fairly recent. When I respond to some email messages
(definitely sent by users running some version of Windows), I see an
uppercase 'X' after each period in the text; sometimes it appears after
other sentence terminators.

   My MUA is alpine and the embedded editor is 'joe.' The editor is
configured for ISO-something because when I try UTF-8 it FUBARs the
application.

   Has anyone else seen this? Any ideas why it happens and what I can do
(other than manually deleting each instance) to prevent it?

TIA,