[PLUG-TALK] Downloading flash videos

Jeme A Brelin jeme at brelin.net
Wed Jun 9 06:13:55 UTC 2010

On Sat, 5 Jun 2010, Keith Lofstrom wrote:
>> On Thu, Jun 3, 2010 at 1:38 PM, Keith Lofstrom <keithl at kl-ic.com> wrote:
>>> http://www.mydailydude.com/GOODWATCH.html
>
> On Sat, Jun 05, 2010 at 10:03:55PM -0700, Denis Heidtmann wrote:
>> Is there a way to capture a FLASH video (this one specifically)?  I want to
>> be able to play it at will, in the absence of the internet, maybe a year
>> from now.
>
> "youtube_dl" will do it.  see:
>   http://bitbucket.org/rg3/youtube-dl/wiki/Home
>
> I renamed my copy "ytdl", and use it for flash videos from
> all over, not just youtube.  Another handy set of programs is
> "swftools", for taking apart, editing, and otherwise fooling
> around with flash videos.

If you use the Adobe flash plugin (flashplugin-nonfree on my Debian
system), it puts the flash video in /tmp/ as Flash???? and if you copy
that to whatever.flv, everything plays it fine.  The plugin cleans up
after itself, so anytime a window closes, the video is deleted.

I've never tried it with anything streaming, however.

J.