[PLUG-TALK] Animal rights and (way too far) beyond

Aaron Burt aaron at bavariati.org
Mon Jun 28 19:30:48 UTC 2010

On Mon, Jun 28, 2010 at 09:37:31AM -0700, Keith Lofstrom wrote:
> ----- Forwarded message from Keith Lofstrom <keithl at kl-ic.com> -----
> On Sat, Jun 26, 2010 at 11:17:38AM -0700, kirby urner wrote:
> > Yeah, in opening Wanderers to non-humans (e.g. Keiko) and touting
> > myself as Quaker animist, I wanted to bring some balance to
> > anthropocentric engineering agendas.

Kirby Urner!  That's a name I haven't seen for a few years.

Hey, somebody's gotta think the Big Thoughts.  I'm too busy using my
opposable thumbs and the resources afforded me by a highly complex society
built on advanced symbolic communication and primate politics, trying to
make an AVR-based automatic door for my chicken house.  Have I mentioned
how amazingly cool and Linux-friendly the Arduino and AVRTools are,
especially with the Teensy boards made by local primate Paul Stoffrengen?

In Kage Baker's "Company" time-travel novels, there's a great subplot about
Animal Rights.  As one might expect, "Beast Liberation" does NOT go well
for the chickens (or any other domesticated animals, including the humans.)