[PLUG-TALK] Kilowatt hours per year

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Tue Mar 23 16:44:54 UTC 2010

I am doing some estimates for world computer energy usage.

http://server-sky.com/EnergyUse

Many of the numbers I encounter are measured in such monstrous units
as kilowatt-hours per year, exajoules per year, even quadrillion
british thermal units per year.  It is difficult to even think
about sustainability and long-term power flows when the units
revolve around fixed resource depletion.  What next - firkins of
flaxseed oil per fortnight?

No wonder there is so much innumerate nonsense dominating public
discussion.

I'm using watts.  MKS units.  I wouldn't touch consumption
oriented units with a 87.66 kilofoot-hour per year pole.