[PLUG-TALK] Plenum-rated ethernet cable

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Mon Mar 29 16:39:02 UTC 2010

I need about 250 feet of plenum-rated ethernet cable, cat5e or cat6 .
Ethernet cable comes in 1000 foot boxes, and I don't need that much.
cat5e is around $250/1000ft .  cat6 is perhaps $300/1000ft .  cat6
is preferred.

Plenum-rated is the ultra-safe stuff, doesn't burn, self-extinguishing.
Note that most of the "plenum" cable out there is counterfeit.  Some
manufacturers submit high quality test samples to UL, get approval and
a label, then substitute cheaper materials in China.  See for example:

http://www.accu-tech.com/accu-insider/bid/30012/CCCA-Study-Offshore-Cat-5e-and-Cat-6-still-pose-fire-risk

or http://snipurl.com/v58bq

I would pay premium if I was sure the cable was actually plenum grade.
I don't know how to do that besides buying some and testing it, or
trusting Greybar or some other reputable not Ebay/Frys/??? source.

Suggested brands?

Can anyone sell me 250 feet of cable?  Or if I buy a whole box,
does anybody want to buy 750 feet of cable from me?