[PLUG-TALK] Plenum-rated ethernet cable

Galen Seitz galens at seitzassoc.com
Mon Mar 29 17:35:53 UTC 2010

Keith Lofstrom wrote:
> I need about 250 feet of plenum-rated ethernet cable, cat5e or cat6 .
> Ethernet cable comes in 1000 foot boxes, and I don't need that much.
> cat5e is around $250/1000ft .  cat6 is perhaps $300/1000ft .  cat6
> is preferred.
>
> Plenum-rated is the ultra-safe stuff, doesn't burn, self-extinguishing.
> Note that most of the "plenum" cable out there is counterfeit.  Some
> manufacturers submit high quality test samples to UL, get approval and
> a label, then substitute cheaper materials in China.  See for example:

Where are you planning to run this cable?  In the cold air return of
your heating system?  My conclusion from searching the web was that
running plenum cable in any conventional home ducting does not meet
code.  Granted, I did not talk with anyone who is paid to know the
answer, but it seemed that knowledgeable people on the net were saying
this should not be done.  While it may not be unsafe, if an insurance
adjuster discovers something like this, it could put a fire claim in
jeopardy.

--
Galen Seitz
galens at seitzassoc.com