[PLUG-TALK] Plenum-rated ethernet cable

Russell Johnson russj at dimstar.net
Tue Mar 30 05:45:57 UTC 2010

On 03/29/2010 09:23 PM, Galen Seitz wrote:

> No, but once lit by an external ignition source, any cable could
> potentially distribute a fire well beyond the initial source.

It's been my experience that the wood Keith is attaching his tray to is
more of a spread factor than the ethernet cable.

Not that it's not good to be safe, but as in all things, spending more
than the additional protection is worth is not in ones best interest.

If the cable is being installed with proper fire breaks, then standard
ethernet cable is more than good enough. The fire breaks will cost less
than the added cost of the plenum rated cable.

Another thought... Are you replacing all the household wiring with
plenum rated? If not, then the 250' of ethernet is of little consequence
compared to the several thousand feet of electrical wiring running
through the house.

Just my thoughts on the matter.