[PLUG-TALK] Plenum-rated ethernet cable

Denis Heidtmann denis.heidtmann at gmail.com
Tue Mar 30 17:18:37 UTC 2010

On Tue, Mar 30, 2010 at 7:33 AM, Richard C. Steffens <rsteff at comcast.net> wrote:
> Possibly worse that the flame spread is the smoke. Most ordinary insulation
> is made of PVC, the smoke from the burning of which is pretty nasty stuff.
> The last I knew, plenum rated insulation was made with Teflon.
> --
> Regards,
>
> Dick Steffens

"DuPont studies show that the Teflon offgases toxic particulates at
446°F. At 680°F Teflon pans release at least six toxic gases,
including two carcinogens, two global pollutants, and MFA, a chemical
lethal to humans at low doses. At temperatures that DuPont scientists
claim are reached on stovetop drip pans (1000°F), non-stick coatings
break down to a chemical warfare agent known as PFIB, and a chemical
analog of the WWII nerve gas phosgene."

-Denis