[PLUG-TALK] [PLUG] getting the quote right

Russell Johnson russj at dimstar.net
Thu May 20 23:22:30 UTC 2010

On 5/20/2010 9:22 AM, Paul Heinlein wrote:
> Of course, I don't ask a lot of my Windows servers, so it's not like
> the bar is set all that high...

The story I always like to relate goes something like this.

A technology company I worked for had Windows servers, and nothing but
Windows servers, in it's IT department. Even though the product this
company made ran on Windows, Linux, FreeBSD, Solaris, AIX, HP-UX, Tru64,
and IRIX. The IT department didn't want to use anything else.

Being in the Engineering department, we ran and maintained lots of
servers that ran all of those OSes and more.

The kicker came when we had to bring up our own mail server, because our
companies product kept bringing down our corporate Exchange server. It
seems one instance of our product was capable of flooding the Exchange
server to such a point that it crashed, several times.

Our solution was a postfix server, on a 300mhz Celeron, with 1gig of
RAM. It was running on Redhat 7.2.

We never had another crash in the email servers.

rj