[PLUG-TALK] Mouse Paste Buffer Update

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Tue Nov 2 20:55:44 UTC 2010

On Tue, 2 Nov 2010, Bill Barry wrote:

> I don't see how the bad ram can be causing this cut and paste problem. As
> Nathan and Daniel have explained, cut and paste is a negotiation between
> two applications, each in their own area of ram. Why would cut and paste
> between two applications in some semi-random area of ram always affect
> just this explicit function. Bad ram usually causes more random problems
> since things get loaded in different order and into different ram each
> time you start an application.  This looks more like some software
> problem, not a hardware problem.

Bill,

   I do agree with you. Since this problem has never existed before the
hardware change I assume that somehow they're related.

> Does explicit copying with ctrl-c and pasting with ctrl-v work?  Is there
> some other application/desktop widget running that is interfering with cut
> and paste.

   I've not tried ctrl-c, ctrl-v between two applications. I will. I'll also
be swapping the hard drive for the new one.

   It's the same applications running now that I've run in the past. Newer
versions, perhaps, but when the paste fails within the same rxvt I suspect
it's not the "application" as I'm only copying displayed text and trying to
paste it on the command line. That's about as simple as it gets.