[PLUG-TALK] Homes for Older Distribution Disks?

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Sat Nov 13 22:52:52 UTC 2010

On Sat, 13 Nov 2010 11:39:30 -0800 (PST)
Rich Shepard <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com> dijo:

>   Are there any homes for older distribution disks? I have
> Slackware-12.2
>and -13.0 that are no longer needed here. Before I throw them out I'll
>see if they have any value anywhere.
>
>   Microwave coaster material, anyone?

I know I have seen recycling places that take "hard plastic," but I
can't remember where. Metro would know.

I am glad you started this thread because I was just about to post that
I was in the process of updating the distros that I keep on my laptop
hard disk for the Clinic. Darn distros are always releasing a new
version and I never hear about it until someone comes to the Clinic and
wants it - and I don't have it.

I have all Ubuntus and variants: Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Lubuntu, Xubuntu,
Mythbuntu and Ubuntu Studio. For all of them I have 10.04 (Lucid) and
10.10 (Maverick), and for Ubuntu and Kubuntu I also have 9.10. For each
I have Alternate, Desktop, Server and Netbook in 32- and 64-bit (when
they exist).

I also maintain Mint, Fedora, Knoppix, OpenSuse, Slackware, Slax, DSL,
Puppy, and various rescue and utility CDs, all with the latest releases.

For space reasons I do not keep older versions of distros except Ubuntu
and Fedora, nor do I download DVD versions, with the exception of
Ubuntu Studio, Mythbuntu (because that is how they come) and Fedora
(because I run Fedora and use the DVDs for upgrades).

I have pretty good bandwidth. Downloading a 700 MB ISO takes about six
minutes unless the distro's server is lagged. So if anyone has poor
bandwidth and wants anything not in the above list, holler back and I'll
fetch it for you.