[PLUG-TALK] Homes for Older Distribution Disks?

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Sat Nov 13 23:48:21 UTC 2010

On Sat, 13 Nov 2010 15:12:24 -0800 (PST)
Rich Shepard <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com> dijo:

>On Sat, 13 Nov 2010, John Jason Jordan wrote:
>
>> I also maintain Mint, Fedora, Knoppix, OpenSuse, Slackware, Slax,
>> DSL, Puppy, and various rescue and utility CDs, all with the latest
>> releases.
>
>John,
>
>   Whaddaya' got for rescue/live CDs? The only one here is
> xubuntu-9.04 which
>is a bit dated.

In addition to Knoppix (which a lot of people swear by) I have:

garted-live-0.4.6-1   #for fixing partitions, but does not do LVMs yet
ultimate boot cd    #mostly for testing hard drive integrity
slax-6.2.1.2
systemrescuecd-x86-1.3.4
ploplinux-4.0.2
grml

Note that I just copied those down from my folder. I am in the process
of updating all my distros and there are probably newer versions.

Of these my personal favorite is grml. It is command line only. As it
boots it finds all your partitions and mounts them, then leaves you at
a command line as root. It has all the tools you might need to fix
things, including mdadmin for fixing a RAID, gparted, etc. etc. And,
although it is command line, it senses your video and selects a font
that is readable but small enough to get lots of stuff on the screen.