[PLUG-TALK] A Semi-Rhetorical Question

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Fri Oct 15 13:52:01 UTC 2010

   As I view the mail log each morning I'm struck how many rejected spams
come from a single IP address in Argentina, Brazil, China, Vietnam, Korea,
and similar countries. I'm seeing up to 5,000 attempts from a single IP
address, all rejected by UCE control rules checked by postfix. This is
obviously spam and I wonder why it's not cut off by the hosting ISP using
automated tools. What a waste of bandwidth!

   Were I naive I'd think it's because such tools are not available. But, I'm
confident that such monitoring tools are available, but the ISPs just don't
care. I'm equally confident that I'm not the only recipient address on these
attempts.

   Does anyone know whether responsible ISPs watch for such volumn from a
single IP address and throttle it when it passes a low threshold?

Just curious,