[PLUG-TALK] Another Poorly Presented Web Site

Richard Powell plug at hackhawk.net
Fri Sep 10 00:46:09 UTC 2010

John Jason Jordan wrote:
> On Thu, 9 Sep 2010 16:44:43 -0700 (PDT)
> Rich Shepard <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com> dijo:
>
>> The following URL is for the Business Oregon Web site. On my
>> firefox there is a mid-gray background and the cyan, green, and
>> orange can barely be read, and only if I squint at it.
>>
>> <http://www.oregon4biz.com/The-Oregon-Advantage/Oregon-Economic-Data/>
>>
>> There ought to be a robot that checks sites/pages for readability and
>> deletes those that fail the high contrast test.

<snip>

> Could there be a difference in your browser and mine? Or a difference
> in configurations?

I seem to recall years ago (10+?), a "default" background setting in
Firefox (or maybe it was Netscape).  Where, if a stylesheet or
background= setting was not set for the site, firefox/netscape defaulted
to a shade of gray that was horrible on many websites.  I had to
specifically set the background on my websites to white or #ffffff to
make them look right.

Does Firefox have a default background setting?