[PLUG-TALK] Google Analytics Bounce Rate

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Mon Sep 13 01:29:11 UTC 2010

On Sat, 11 Sep 2010, Aaron Burt wrote:

> Funny - I was just looking at this blog article on bounce rate:
> http://padicode.com/blog/analytics/the-real-bounce-rate/

   Interesting, Aaron.

> The author talks about adding a bit of Javascript to fire off a virtual
> pageview after 10 seconds, so you can distinguish between people who hit
> your page and then bounce away immediately, and people who stick around
> long enough to read it, but don't click anything else.

   From the little I've read I have the impression that all these metrics
(and terms such as "landing page") are aimed at folks selling products from
their Web site. I suspect that none have real value for professional
services companies: consultants, lawyers, accountants.

   Would you select a physician or lawyer by seaching the Web and picking the
one who's site gave the warmest fuzziest feelings?

   I've never had a client call (or e-mail) because they stumbled across my
Web site. I'm still trying to figure out whether I can make the site into a
more powerful business generator or whether its only value is to make
available confirmation of what folks hear from referrals or other sources.