[PLUG-TALK] Amazon Cloud Drive

Richard C. Steffens rsteff at comcast.net
Sun Apr 3 14:35:03 UTC 2011

On 04/03/2011 07:00 AM, Rich Shepard wrote:
> On Sat, 2 Apr 2011, Richard C. Steffens wrote:
>
>> Is anyone using Amazon Cloud Drive?
> Dick,
>
>     No. I would not.

Neither would I. My sister-in-law does not listen to this sort of
advice, for the most part. She decides what will work for her and does
it. So far, she hasn't been bitten.
>> Any other concerns I should make her aware of?
>     While every technological advance has been predicated upon its beneficial
> uses, someone will find a way to apply it for harm. All software has
> vulnerabilities. Not all are exploited, but the potential exists. I would
> not store any of my personal or business data on someone else's system.
> Period. I'm concered when I learn that organizations holding data about me
> store them external to their systems.
>
>     Not all the problems are technilogical or digital. How many times have we
> read in the Oregonian about someone's laptop with private data being stolen
> from a vehicle (stupid for leaving it there in the first place), an office,
> or a residence? What if a user makes a careless error that opens a port?
> Just yesterday I read about this new exploited vulnerability on web sites
> hosted on Microsoft's SQL Server/2003 and /2005. It redirects users to a
> sham site where information is captured. Apparently several million systems
> have been affected and the two IP addresses (both hosted overseas) keep
> changing as they're discovered.
>
>     We'll never have perfect security. I would rather put up with
> inconvenience and lower efficiency to retain greater privacy. I recongnize
> that I'm in the minority, but I'll do what I can for myself.

I've thought of those kinds of things, too. All I can do is make her
aware. She says she wants to use the space to store things for while
she's away from home. Maybe I can convince her to remove them once she
returns.

Thanks.

--
Regards,