[PLUG-TALK] Direct Democracy: Will Oregon Follow California?

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Thu Apr 28 13:07:47 UTC 2011

   For those interested in Oregon's future I recommend this special report
from The Economist on how California twisted direct democracy into total
dysfunction.

                   <http://www.economist.com/node/18563638>

   Oregon seems to model itself after California, and the results of the
initiative industry here seem to be taking us to that same, ugly place.

   I remember reading about Prop 13 when it passed and I was living in Idaho.
Many of us thought it a terrible idea, but then Idaho and Oregon passed
their own versions. I still think it's a terrible idea, but I've been
outvoted by the other side both times. Oh, well.

   This special report is highly insightful and thought provoking. Hope you
enjoy it.