[PLUG-TALK] Copyright, Geneology, ??

Bill Barry bill at billbarry.org
Mon Aug 8 20:52:16 UTC 2011

On Mon, Aug 8, 2011 at 12:07 PM, Keith Lofstrom <keithl at kl-ic.com> wrote:
> I'm attempting to locate heirs of an author of a 1937 book,
> to get permission to reprint it.
>
> See http://launchloop.com/ZeroToEighty for more.
>
> Edwin Fitch Northrup died in 1940 near Philadelphia.  He
> was a physics professor at Princeton (1910-1920), and his
> inventions founded two successful companies.
>
> Any genology buffs here, who know how to track down heirs?
>
> Keith

Keith,
  Here is what I can tell you so far. It appears he had no children.
In the 1900 census he is single, occupation Electrical Engineer and
living in Baltimore. In the 1910 he is married 9 years and has had no
children. The 1920 and 1930 censuses also show no signs of children.
I think his estate will depend on a will, which I don't have easy access to.
Below is a an article I found on him in a Syracuse newspaper, and the
information from the censuses.

Bill

Syracuse Herald-American - March 10, 1940, Syracuse, New York
Syracuse Woman's Brother Cited for Aid to Progress
Pioneer Award Presented to Dr.  E.F. Northrup Princeton Scientist
Dr. Edwin Fitch Northrup, Princeton, N.J., scientist and brother of
Miss Edith Northrup, principal of Goodyear-Ebarlingame Lower School,
has been cited by the Philadelphia Chamber of Commerce for his
"distinguished contribution" to the progress of modern industry.

Dr. Northrup was one of 100 men who received "Modern Pioneer Awards"
at a Chamber of Commerce dinner in Bellevue-Stratford Hotel,
Philadelphia. He was honored for a furnace which he developed to melt
certain metals at extreme temperature.

The scientist developed his invention while he was a member of the
Princeton University faculty assigned to Palmer Physical Laboratory
between 1910 and 1920. He later became associated with Ajax
Electrothermic Corporation of Trenton, N.J.

Dr. Northrup who is 74 years old, holds degrees from Amherst, Cornell
and Johns Hopkins Universities. In his early manhood he passed several
year in practical electrical work.  In 1903 he became secretary of the
firm Leeds & Northrup, manufacturers of electrical instruments. He
held this position until he became associated with Princeton.

He is the author of a number of articles on scientific subjects an in
addition holds many patents. He has received several citations and
medals for his work.

1930 Census
Address Rosedale Road, Lawrence, Mercer, New Jersey
Edwin F Northrup age	64 house worth 20,000 born in New York, Parents
born in New York
age at first marriage 34, occupation electrical engineer, electrical
furnaces for military metals
Margaret S Northrup	67 wife age at first marriage 37    born in
Pennsylvania, father born in Ireland, mother born in  Pennsylvania,
occupation none
No children in household

---------------------------
1920 Census
Name:	Edwin F Northrup
Home in 1920:	Princeton, Mercer, New Jersey
Address 30 Wiggins Street
Occupation President of Electrical Firm
Age:	53
Estimated Birth Year:	abt 1867
Birthplace:	New York
Spouse's Name:	Margaret S Northrup
Father's Birth Place:	New York
Mother's Birth Place:	New York
Edwin F Northrup	53
Margaret S Northrup	57

-----------------------------
1910 Federal Census
Name:	Edwin F Morthrup  [Edwin F Northrup]
Age in 1910:	44
Estimated Birth Year:	1866
Birthplace:	New York
Father's Birth Place:	New York
Mother's Birth Place:	New York
Spouse's Name:	Margaret S Morthrup
Home in 1910:	Philadelphia Ward 42, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
8 Asbury Terrace
Occupation Manufactory  Electrical Instruments
Married 9 year no children
Edwin F Morthrup	44
Margaret S Morthrup	47

In 1900 Census he is a boarder living in Baltimore, occupation
electrical engineer
1313 Madison Avenue
single age 33 listed as Edwin E. Northrop
Maryland > Baltimore City (Independent City) > Baltimore Ward 13 >
District 166 > 4