[PLUG-TALK] Comcast Cable Modem - Rent or Buy?

Aaron Burt aaron at bavariati.org
Tue Aug 23 16:31:13 UTC 2011

On Tue, Aug 23, 2011 at 06:33:31AM -0700, Richard C. Steffens wrote:
> So, what do you all think? Should I buy a cable modem and turn in my
> rented one?

Yep.  I have 1-2 lying around.  They can be had cheap at Goodwill or
FreeGeek.

Caveats:
* Older models might support merely ludicrous (rather than insane) levels
  of bandwidth.
* You might need to take the modem to a Comcast office to have it
  de-registered from the previous owner.
* You don't have phone service through Comcast, do you?