[PLUG-TALK] BART telephone censorship

Denis Heidtmann denis.heidtmann at gmail.com
Fri Aug 26 02:11:59 UTC 2011

On Thu, Aug 25, 2011 at 10:26 AM, Keith Lofstrom <keithl at kl-ic.com> wrote:

> http://spectrum.ieee.org/podcast/telecom/wireless/peaceful-protests-trigger-cellular-shutdowns/
> http://tinyurl.com/3osdce5
>
> Cairo-style censorship does happen here.  The EFF is fighting it.
>
> Keith

I believe that the reporter exaggerated: "We’ve been speaking with
Electronic Frontier Foundation activist Eva Galperin about the new police
tactic of shutting down phone and Internet networks during civil
demonstrations and protests. For *IEEE Spectrum*’s “Techwise Conversations,”
I’m Steven Cherry."  Were internet networks shut down?  This type of action
could become a free-speech issue, but I question the assertion that it was
in this case.  I also question the assertion that if a demonstration had
taken place the ridership would have been safer with cell phone access.

I think there is an argument to be made that a reasonable person, trying to
balance the rendering of a public service v.s. the rights of other members
of the public might make the same choice that BART did.

-Denis