[PLUG-TALK] High speed document scanners

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Wed Aug 31 22:51:11 UTC 2011

On Tue, Aug 30, 2011 at 3:07 PM, Aaron Burt <aaron at bavariati.org> wrote:
> * Look for barcodes.  Consider barcoding each file.

Thanks Pete, Aaron, Barry, Wes, and others who may be preparing
pushing for space in the new office so the scanning can get done
as efficiently and accurately as possible, to finish the job,
free up the space, and return the OCE VL3622 multifunction machine
( autofeed duplexing 70ppm, yah right ) we plan to borrow.

Pete's suggestion of a foot switch reminds me of the knee-operated
copier switches at the Kinko's at Berkeley in 1974 (that was the
second Kinko's after the original in Santa Barbara, IIRC).  Starving
students never ever used those machines to copy textbooks.  I don't
know if there is an open port on the OCE for such a switch - it is
on lease to a company shutting down, and I doubt they will take
kindly to me inserting wires.  Perhaps I can build a mechanical
switch pusher with a bicycle cable to a foot or knee switch.

Barcodes sound good.  The magic square codes sound better.
What is available for printing and scanning and tracking those?
Open source, of course!

In the medium term, we will be moving all the input and forms to
electronic format ( openemr ), storing incoming faxes as PDFs,
and using a flatbed desktop scanner for unavoidable bits of
paper (PNG or PDF).  Until then,  we have a decade of legacy
charts to scan and make electronically portable within the
practice (AKA folks can work from home, +/- HIPAA).

More ideas, please!  We have a very limited budget - my wife earns
far less as a doctor than she did as a tech writer.  We hope
that good ideas and smart friends will help us through this.