[PLUG-TALK] Kids and risks

Paul Heinlein heinlein at madboa.com
Mon Dec 5 09:22:40 PST 2011

On Sat, 3 Dec 2011, Russell Senior wrote:

> As a current parent that is qualified to comment, I think that the
> whole medicate-the-child thing, to the degree that it ever existed,
> is mostly a thing of the past, a fad or trend that was arrested and
> reversed.  None of my kids' peers is on behavior meds afaik.

As a counterpoint, I suggest going to check-in day at a summer camp
and watch the line reserved for parents handing over medications for
the staff to administer that week. I'll admit I was very surprised at
how long it was.

When I was a counselor, back in the late 70s and early 80s, it was
rare to have even one kid of your cabin (9 to 10 kids) on meds. My
daughter, a counselor last summer, tells me it's now extremely rare to
have an entire cabin of kids without meds.