[PLUG-TALK] Ford mechanic needed

wes plug at the-wes.com
Sat Feb 12 20:37:19 UTC 2011

On Sat, Feb 12, 2011 at 12:23 PM, John Jason Jordan <johnxj at comcast.net>wrote:

> The recent thread regarding the need for a Subaru mechanic reminded me
> that I am in a similar situation, except I'm not poor, just cheap. The
> check engine light on my Ford (102K miles)  came on last summer, and I
> have been ignoring it. However, the great state of Oregon recently sent
> me a notice that I must get it through the DEQ by the end of April.
> There are hundreds of components that could be the cause, and Google
> reports horror stories from people who keep having one component
> replaced after another and the damn light keeps coming back on. I just
> need it to stay off long enough to get it through the DEQ.

Many auto parts stores will read computer error codes for you for free. Just
go up to the counter and ask, they'll bring out a computer scanner tool
which will tell you why the light is on. Or at least, what your car's
computer _thinks_ the problem is. This has about a 50% chance of being
related to reality.

> Then again, I own a house in Vancouver whose address I could use, so
> re-licensing may be a cheaper alternative.

WA requires DEQ testing also. However, they only care if the Check Engine
Light is on if the vehicle is made in 1996 or later. The light could have
zero effect on emissions.

-wes