[PLUG-TALK] Ford mechanic needed

Michael Rasmussen michael at jamhome.us
Sat Feb 12 21:40:52 UTC 2011

On Sat, Feb 12, 2011 at 01:34:14PM -0800, Rich Shepard wrote:
> On Sat, 12 Feb 2011, wes wrote:
>
> > Many auto parts stores will read computer error codes for you for free.
>
>    Computers in cars??? What're those new-fangled things doing?
>
>    I suppose the computers are needed because the are so few diagnosticians
> in the auto trades. There are mechanics/parts swappers, but those who can
> diagnose by sound and feel are a dying breed. Like cobblers and mechanical
> watch repairmen.

Those who could diagnose by sound and feel have been greatly hampered by the
performance (mileage and emssions) enhancements that have been added to cars
over the decades.  Compare any car made in the last two decades with anything
made before 1990.  The growth in complexity is astounding.

> > WA requires DEQ testing also. However, they only care if the Check Engine
> > Light is on if the vehicle is made in 1996 or later. The light could have
> > zero effect on emissions.
>
>    Put a piece of black electrical tape over the light.

Yeah, I'm sure the DEQ will be fooled by that one.

--
      Michael Rasmussen, Portland Oregon
  Trading kilograms for kilometers since 2003