[PLUG-TALK] Ford mechanic needed

Russell Johnson russ at dimstar.net
Sat Feb 12 21:59:12 UTC 2011

Sent from my iPhone

On Feb 12, 2011, at 13:34, Rich Shepard <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com> wrote:

> On Sat, 12 Feb 2011, wes wrote:
>
>> Many auto parts stores will read computer error codes for you for free.
>
>   Computers in cars??? What're those new-fangled things doing?
>
>   I suppose the computers are needed because the are so few diagnosticians
> in the auto trades. There are mechanics/parts swappers, but those who can
> diagnose by sound and feel are a dying breed. Like cobblers and mechanical
> watch repairmen.

As someone who went through college to get an automotive tech degree, I can tell you WHY cars have computers now.

It is impossible to turn a non-electronic car to a state that meets the standards for DEQ, and keep it that way for any length of time. Within a few hundred miles, the timing will have changed causing the emission levels to change.

I CAN tune a car by sound, but I always verify the settings with a good diagnostic system. Even with a point driven car.