[PLUG-TALK] Car Talk, Subaru, Bus reader

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Sat Feb 12 22:31:20 UTC 2011

Subarus:  I have a 1991 Loyal, and I want it to keep running
until the 2091 models come out, so I can sell it as a '91 to
a confused buyer.  :-)  I put 2500 miles a year on it.

I currently use a mechanic who is 3 blocks from my house
in West Slope.  I would also like to find a better mechanic,
but I do not expect to.

I can imagine if most of us were born in 1940, we would have
been car geeks, as computers were not available.  The car
geeks I know make a much better living working on computers.
So, cars are more elaborate, and what's left for mechanics
mostly come from the shallow end of the gene pool.

Regards diagnostic code reader/resetters, I have one - somewhere,
after we moved.  They are about $50-$100 .  On my wife's Honda
CRV, the socket for the reader plug is under the driver's side
dashboard.  Her "check engine" light comes on when the monkeys
at the gas station forget to turn the filler cap until it seals
and clicks.  Then it stays on for months.  Beaverton Honda wants
$80 to reset the code (crooks).  A tool for resetting the code
is handy, especially before DEQ.