[PLUG-TALK] Canon scanners: Would you buy one?

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Thu Feb 24 05:44:12 UTC 2011

On Wed, 23 Feb 2011 15:47:29 -0800
Larry Williams <larryw at holbrookmasons.org> dijo:

>On 02/23/2011 03:30 PM, John Jason Jordan wrote:
>> So, considering that no one else makes a scanner with features
>> similar to the LiDE 210 (small, light weight, USB powered), that is
>> also supported by Xsane, if you were in my place would you buy a new
>> Canon scanner?

>Personally, I would buy the scanner, and I'd take the old one to a
>recycler experienced with such equipment.

The old scanner already has a new home. Its new owner intends to
disassemble it for parts to be used in other projects.

However, I'm still annoyed that Canon thinks it's OK to make
unrepairable products. How much more would it have cost to make the
bottom panel removable with a few screws? And the sale of repair parts
would be another source of revenue. Sometimes I buy non-green products,
but given a chance I prefer to send my money to manufacturers who act
responsibly.

I haven't bought a new scanner yet. I keep googling trying to find a
USB powered scanner that is supported by Xsane. The Xerox 7600 is a
good alternative to the Canon LiDE 210, for even less money, but the
Xsane website scanner locater is poorly designed and it's difficult to
search. It may actually be listed in the database, but I can't find it.