[PLUG-TALK] Open Source Supporters and SB 161

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Thu Jan 13 17:59:44 UTC 2011

   Those of us who use, support, and promote open source software always
mention the high value of having a choice. We challenge being locked into
one vendor's proprietary way of doing things. There is now before the Oregon
Legislature a bill that offers choice in a different venue but which should
be supported by all open source software advocates and supporters.

   This is SB (Senate Bill) 161 sponsored by Sen. Ginny Burdick. It will
allow those of who want to refuel our vehicles at gas stations in Oregon the
right to do so without taking away the right of those who want to have
someone else do the job to be served.

   The bill is revenue neutral; that is, it costs the state or other
governments nothing while imposing no new taxes or fees on consumers. There
is no downside to allowing such choice, and it would leave New Jersey as the
only state still denying drivers (or their passengers) the right to refuel
their own vehicles. Those of you who drive motorcycles or diesel-engine
vehicles know that most stations allow self refueling informally, so there's
absolutely no reason to deny that to those with gasoline-engine vehicles.

   Send an e-mail to your state senator (and others, too) telling them you
support SB 161. After all, it's all about choice.