[PLUG-TALK] Open Source Supporters and SB 161

Russell Senior russell at personaltelco.net
Fri Jan 14 07:05:57 UTC 2011

Awesome!  I haven't seen a good self-service-in-Oregon flame war in
years, since I used to find actual occasionally interesting things
on Usenet!

FWIW, I think generally Oregonians are happy with the way things are
regarding gasoline service in Oregon and I don't see any momentum to
change that.  Anyone in the Portland area that wants to pump their own
gas has a nearby opportunity just across the river.

The legislature is going to have its plate so full with the
multi-billion dollar revenue shortfall, I can't imagine them wasting
any time or political capital on the gas service issue.

Having lived through the transition from full-service to no-service in
other states, it is abundantly clear that the desire for this change
in Oregon is motivated by gas station operators clammering for "more
efficiency" in their operations, in stark contrast to what is
desired by the gas-consuming public.

seniorr at aracnet.com