[PLUG-TALK] Need phone advice

Jackson Cafazzo doctorjuno at gmail.com
Sat Jan 15 14:44:47 UTC 2011

Taxi friends of mine on Sprint's 4G network love it, fast and reliable, and
Sprint is one of the few carriers that still offers unlimited plans. If you
plan on using a lot me data, AT&T will charge you $10 a gigabyte after you
have used up the first two you get for $45. It's all highway robbery.

In order to not pay this much next month, I'm getting a Clear router in my
taxi's trunk. At $20 a month it will allow me unlimited use in my cab, where
I run data intensive apps, and I won't go over again.

Maybe TMI but if I were to do it again I would go with Sprint. If the
connection was not job related I would only use WiFi and Skype or Google
Voice and avoid the cell towers altogether.

Thanks for having a thread where I have something to say :D

-Jackson

On Jan 15, 2011 12:10 AM, "Daniel Pittman" <daniel at rimspace.net> wrote:

On Fri, Jan 14, 2011 at 23:52, Russell Senior <russell at personaltelco.net>
wrote:
> [...]
The disparate bands used for 3G services in the USA are a real pain in
the neck.  Not that Australia was that much better, since one of the
companies started up with 850/2100 (like AT&T) rather than the
900/2100 that everyone else had used to that point.

[...]

> John> 3) Can you add RAM, e.g., a microSD?
>
> No.  But it has 16G of storage on it, and I haven'...
At the moment there isn't actually that much other than loading media
on the phone that can really benefit from large storage on the Android
devices, though.  Most stuff is small, and large devices like this are
fairly new, so that will probably stick for a couple more years.

> John> 4) Google says it doesn't have a QWERTY keyboard. Doesn't
> John> Android offer you a choic...
...and, better than that, you can replace it with another keyboard
package if you want.  I ended up using ShapeWriter, and other folks
swear by Swipe, so there are alternatives around.

On the other hand, I bought the T-Mobile G2 rather than the Nexus S
because they are pretty much cost-equivalent, T-Mobile coverage was
satisfactory to me, and it did have a very, very nice hardware
keyboard built in.

I wasn't sure it would be worth it, but figured it was worth the
experiment, and found that it made a huge difference to usability:
with the built-in keyboard the whole thing was slow and annoying;
upgrading to ShapeWriter finally made it possible to enter more than a
few words without starting to get grumpy.

Using the hardware keyboard I am pretty happy using the phone to do
email, which was really not very practical without.  Ditto, ssh.  So,
for me the keyboard has turned out to be a huge win.

(I would absolutely recommend the G2 keyboard compared to the other
current generation hardware keyboards I have seen, FWIW.)

Regards,
    Daniel

--
✉ Daniel Pittman <daniel at rimspace.net>