[PLUG-TALK] Google is becoming increasingly annoying

nathan w nathan at nathanewilliams.com
Tue Jul 5 05:24:20 UTC 2011

looking a little further it seems userstyles.org is mostly oriented
toward *adding* crap and not removing it... not so fun.

i actually put a simple one together real quick that seems to do the
basics. not extensively tested but it works on the main search sites
(web/images) to get rid of extraneous content.

just drop this into
~/.mozilla/firefox/<random>.default/chrome/userContent.css

you may have to mkdir chrome, it didn't exist on my system until i
created it. bonus is if you do this manually you do not have to load any
extra plugins for firefox.

docs are here: http://www-archive.mozilla.org/unix/customizing.html

file content:

@namespace url(http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml);

@-moz-document domain("google.com") {
#leftnavc {visibility:hidden !important}
#rhscol {visibility:hidden !important}
#fll {visibility:hidden !important}
#brs {visibility:hidden !important}
}